Backflow Prevention and Certification in Memphis
At Stewart Plumbing, we are committed to delivering safe, high quality and contaminant-free water to our customer across the Memphis area. One of the most important aspects of this commitment is backflow prevention. When a water line connects with pipes containing a non-potable substance, it’s called a ‘cross-connection.’ Backflow occurs when your water becomes contaminated by flowing through a cross-connection from a non-potable source, such as a sprinkler or HVAC system, into the drinking water line.
What is Backflow?
Backflow is water flowing through your plumbing in the opposite direction it was meant to. When the hydraulic conditions within your plumbing system deviate from normal, the direction of water flow can become reversed. This creates a backflow condition in your pipes and the potential for contaminated water entering the potable water distribution system. Our backflow prevention technicians are specially trained and certified to keep clean, drinkable water flowing directly to your home.
How Does Backflow Happen?
- Back siphonage: Occurs when the water pressure in your plumbing suddenly drops. This can be caused by a wide range of events such as during fire fighting or when a water main breaks. During an extreme water pressure reduction, water flow in your pipes can become reversed. Water flow reversal creates a poweful suction effect and draw contaminants into your drinking water pipes.
- Back pressure: Occurs when pressure in your plumbing pipes surpasses the pressure in the drinking water system providing the make-up water. This forces the drinking water to reverse the direction of its flow through the cross-connection between both systems. Such flow reversals allow potential contaminants to then enter your drinking water system.
Backflow Prevention Features
Our backflow prevention specialists stick to a proven task list that will make sure you won’t run into a backflow issue. This includes:
- Double check valve assembly.
- Maintain air gaps.
- Reduced pressure principal assembly.
- Pressure vacuum breaker assembly.
- Anti-siphon vacuum breaker.
Our backflow prevention specialists have been professionally trained and certified in backflow prevention.
Don’t allow your drinking water become contaminated with backflow! Give Stewart Plumbing a call and get our backflow prevention specialists on the job today!